Monday, September 13, 2010

Follow Me

“Walking in the deep woods wasn’t what I thought it would be. But I learned something about myself. I went with a map. I went with plan. I had a focused destination and I walked fast and determined. When I got to where I was going, I was disappointed. It wasn’t what I thought it would be. But there was a clearing and a bench, a place to sit and rest and reflect. As I sat there pulling spider webs off my arms and plucking sticker burs off my socks, I realized this is how I have lived most of my life. Planning, charting my course, going my own way. The result is rarely satisfying. Yet I continue to do it again and again.

God speaks and I listen to His quiet voice: “Follow Me.”

Yes, Lord. I need to follow your path. Follow your way. I need to seek after you and bring my needs and my desires to you and trust you. Your way is always the better way.”



One week before the trip to Haiti, I took a 24-hour personal retreat at a place called Shantivanam so I could prepare spiritually. This lesson was one I felt God wanted me to remember for the trip. It certainly rang true while we were in Haiti. It turned out that the plans we thought we had were not God’s plans and I admit it was difficult to accept that at first. But I remembered this lesson and prayed. I felt my spirit, my heart surrendering to Him and His plans. Because His way leads to Everlasting Life. His way leads to salvation. His way brings peace to those who follow.

Thank you Lord for showing me how much you love me by preparing my heart for this trip. And not only for this trip but for the rest of my days with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment