Monday, January 19, 2009

Five things about me

Since I'm just beginning to establish my presence here on this blog, I thought I'd do a couple of lists about myself over the next few weeks. Here are five basic things about me:

1. I am a nature lover. I'd rather be walking in the woods or sitting beside a lake than just about anywhere else in the world. This has been a part of me since I was very young and spent hot summer days fishing for crawdads in the creek and exploring the woods and fields close to my home. Trees and birds are of special interest to me and I enjoy luring birds to my window with yummy treats.

2. I've had a camera in my hand since I was 10 years old and received my first Brownie. I spent my young taking pictures of my neighborhood playmates, family events, and the world around me. I received my first 35 mm camera when I was 16 and took a couple of classes. But I prefer a my point and shoot Canon AS2 Powershot. It's fast and easy and takes pretty good pictures for a point and shoot.

3. I was raised Catholic, spent much of my adult life as a Baptist, and currently belong to a small Presbyterian church. My Christian faith is very important to me.

4. I am educated as a social worker but I work from home as a medical transcriptionist for a local hospital. I love the comfort and flexibility working from home gives me and my desire to reach out to others is fulfilled through my church.

5. I am married to a wonderful man who is a disabled police officer from Mississippi. After getting hurt on the job, he went back to school and now works for the state children's division as a hotline investigator. He is an overcomer and I admire him for that.

Enough about me... tell me about you!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, a few similarities between us. I was born in Arkansas, in the NE corner in Blytheville, so I'm VERY close to your state. I can feel those craw-daddy summers, lol, I used to go to Kennet with my grandy when I was a kid. Very hot!

    My grandy was from Mississippi (Oakland). Been there too. Also very hot! LOL

    My DH is a divorced Catholic, I'm a lifelong Episcopalian. Real close to Presby. I'm fairly religious, but not a big church-goer.

    I too reach for my Canon Powershot (A570IS) over my Panasonic DSLR. It's just easier and the photos are great.

    I just sold my accounting biz I had for 20 years. I'm a little jealous of ya tho - your biz is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to edit...I have lived in Texas since 1959, so I moved away from Arkansas when I was 3. My parents moved back to Blytheville 4 years ago and live in the old Air Force base that is now a retirement community. They drive to Kennett to get their booze (wine).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing a part of your life. I nature lover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful to hear more about you Pearle X:-) and i am lOOking forward to much, much more x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I "know" you because you visited my blog and entered my giveaway.
    I think.
    But, I'm old and I could be wrong:)
    Anyway, we are alike in our love of nature. I have four bird feeders and three bird "baths" that I can see from the sitting area in my bedroom. I adore just sitting and watching my little family eat me out of house and home! We must have about 10 cardinals and 10's of other kinds of birds. (I don't care what kind they are, just that they are)

    My son just graduated from the police academy in San Angelo, Texas, and will start riding patrol by himself very shortly.
    I've asked not to be told when that is.
    We have a ranch in the Texas Hill Country and our two other boys attend the Univ. of Mary Hardin-Baylor.
    We're not Baptists, though. Nor are we religious - I think you'll understand when I say that we're Christians.

    I love my camera. There's not much better than a convertible, backroads and a camera. I'm wanting to trade up though from my Kodak EasyShare Z712IS. Any hints???

    I think that's enough for one blog comment. I do tend to get a wee bit wordy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently left a comment on your old blog. Not sure if you still check it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved nature all my life, and taking care of injured wildlife has always been something I was willing to do...raised many different birds, skunks and raccoons...now I"m in the mountains of VA where I feed all the birds and squirrels as well as deer that cross our land. Come visit me...I see we have friends in common.
    Blessings,
    Do you remember the Root Beer Stands??? Best place to visit when it's so hot!!

    ReplyDelete