Tuesday, August 8, 2017

What I Know

I know that God has created me in such a way that my heart breaks for those in our world who don't have enough to eat, those who live in abject poverty, the oppressed, lost children, those who are marginalized. He has given me a gift of mercy that draws me to the down-and-out people of the world, whether their problems be physical, spiritual, emotional, or mental. I'm a caretaker.


I know that God's heart also breaks for those who are poor, oppressed, fatherless, and widowed. The Bible is full of passages telling us so. He also instructs us to care for those who are considered "less than."


I know that the country of Haiti is made up of a people who have been oppressed for a very long time. Oppression by other countries as well as their own government. The general population lack the very things needed just to survive, much less so the resources necessary to effect any significant change in their country. When your daily focus is on making sure you and your family have enough to eat or a safe place to sleep, you can't really spend energy considering how to improve your quality of life beyond that.


I know that my time spent in Haiti was brief, but in that short time there, I fell in love. I don't want to go back so I can show them a better way. I don't only want to give them the things that they need. Is it too bold of me to say that I want to go back because my desire is to change Haiti? As a country? Was David considered "too bold" to go out on his own and slay a giant? Many thought so. But he did it because his heart was focused on serving God in whatever way he was called. I don't seriously presume that I will be the one to slay the giant that lords over Haiti right now, but I can go and hold those children so that they know that in this world, they were loved by someone. I can do my part to ensure they are given an education and perhaps taught a skill so that they will be able to have jobs when they become adults.


I know that I'm not alone on this. Everyone on the team that went is feeling called to do their part. I know that we have the leadership of the church supporting us. I'm so thankful for that.

I believe our congregation will be supportive as well and that many will also want to go and do their part.


I don't know what our ministry in Haiti will look like. I'm not sure where in Haiti we will be serving. I'm not sure how long it will take to get something established there or where the funding will come from or who else we may partner with. I don't even know how long our involvement with Haiti will be.


But I don't really need to know these things. Yet. God has shown us the next step to take and that's as far as we need to see into the future. We'll be having meetings and conversations with those who accompanied us on the trip, also with those we met along the way. We will probably need to send teams 3 or 4 times over the course of the next year to also catch the vision and do research. My prayer is that this time next year, we'll have a clearer vision of our calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment