Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Pursuit of Prayer


A coworker of 15 years has become a dear friend. We have gone through a lot together, always supportive one another. Our lunch dates have been known to last for up to 3 hours and we are always surprised when one of us finally looks at the time. It's been a wonderful friendship.

But over the past couple of years, things have changed. She has become more and more withdrawn over time. She is busy with life, grandbabies, an elderly mother. My attempts at getting us together are fruitless. She is either too busy to make a commitment or cancels at the last minute.

After another rejected attempt to connect last week, I began to pout. My feelings were hurt. Why doesn't she value our friendship any longer? I have continued over the past two years to call, email, send cards and the responses I get are polite but very brief and to the point. I long for those long lunches where we shared everything with one another. Why do I even bother to try anymore?

Then I started thinking about my relationship with God. And how many days I get so busy with life, my responsibilities, my own desires that I don't respond to his promptings, his calls, his attempts to connect with me. How many times have I offered up a quick but polite prayer when what he wanted was to spend that long luxurious time with me. Time when we could get caught up and share everything with one another. I wondered, do his feelings get hurt? Does he get frustrated and just want to give up on having a relationship with me?

I know that when I am not obedient in heeding his call to prayer, it does indeed grieve his Spirit. But I also know he will never give up on his relationship with me. His love is everlasting, his pursuit of a relationship with me, tireless.

O Lord, forgive me for not being more responsive to your calls to prayer. I pray that I will be transformed into being the kind of daughter who runs to her Father's arms without hesitation and always with the expectation of precious time of communion with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment