Monday, October 15, 2012

Growing in Love


Today was a good day.   For one thing, the weather was just gorgeous.  A beautiful sunny fall day, it felt good to be outside a bit.  We watched as a neighbor had two of her big old trees cut down and enjoyed looking at the pink/orange/red leaves on our own maple trees. 

Mama had a good day, too.   She was feeling well enough to get out a bit.   We had a nice dinner together this evening with lots of conversation and laughter.  And tonight we were able to sit down and do some planning for her future.  I think she is feeling pretty comfortable with what we came up with.  

We are learning how to communicate with her better.  Rather than getting frustrated with her, we need to have some humor.  If we need to encourage her to see something in a different way, we are learning that we need to have eye contact and be truthful and direct without being demeaning.     

The other day a friend told me she would be praying for my affection to grow for Mama.  I see those prayers being answered daily.  I was thinking today about how long it's been since I've had an older person in my life.  It's been nearly 20 years since my own mother died and there just hasn't been anyone else.  So I'm really starting to enjoy having her here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment